This post documents what I feel most companies should be focusing on for the foreseeable future in the world of SEO.
1/ Onsite & Hummingbird’s impact
• On site optimisation will remain key (Title tag, Internal link structure, Header Tags, semantically related words, etc) for standard Search but also as Google is increasingly scraping websites to feed in SERP results. Quite simply if you do not apply correct mark-up/ structured assets then they might never be seen; on your own site or embedded within Google Search results
• When Hummingbird beds in I bet it will not only impact consumer interactions (more conversational search as an example) but also on conventional keyword optimisation with it becoming more complex in optimising around patterns of speech/ conversational interrelationships. And this links in with….
2/ Digital Mothership
• Digital Mothership/ Hub (as discussed at my recent trip to Google Ireland) is all about service, your CRM system + data
• Find what people are looking for in your category and then create an amazing destination for them so they keep returning (and if the ‘content’ is utilised correctly it really aids point 3) e.g. L’Oreal created “destination Beauty”
• Google are focusing on quality, personalised and hyper relevant content (fuelled in no small part by the growing tentacles of Google+) hence you need to as well
3/ Link Bait/ Social SEO
• The interplay between Social Media, PR, Big Data and SEO teams will have to be strengthened to leverage Link Bait outreach
• Link bait needs to take a multitude of forms: text content based on a survey, guides, gamification, competitions, widgets, infographics & interactive infographics based on Big Data
• The number, authority and relevance of inbound links will continue to play an important part in Google’s algorithm
• Something I originally coined 6 months = SSS (Social Standing and Syndication) I have now changed to be SSP (Social Standing Personalisation). Essentially SSP will hone in around signals that tell Google if your site/ content is a recognised quality authority in your vertical.
• Tools Google will use to do this include Google+ (and it’s wider Google property data e.g. YouTube, QR code reader, those sites bookmarked to Chrome, news reader, etc) Authorship, Site KPI’s (bounce rate, time on site, depth of visit, CTR from SERPS, conversions from http to https, etc),, comment and link sentiment, etc.
5/ Location & context
• The Venice (location) update will become even more important due to the usage/ focus on mobile SEO hence a greater need to improve the mobile experience and intertwine this area with point 4 above e.g. responsive design, store locator optimisation, active design linked in with personalisation, etc
(…So basically built on the foundations of my personalised localised socialised semantic web post from 12 months ago)